Posted by Jennifer on Sep 26, 2016

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have a new kitten and her name is Happy.

I figured that when I am feeling down or overwhelmed and my kitty comes running up to me, “Here comes  Happy,” would be an instant mood lifter. You know what? It really works.



Well, last night while I was sleeping, Happy got into a bit of mischief.

As part of the detoxification program I am on to help my body become more healthy, I take charcoal capsules.

I guess Happy was in the need of a detox too because I woke up in the morning to black spots all over my bedroom carpet.

I might add that charcoal is VERY difficult to get out of your carpet if not impossible.

Happy somehow got into the bottle by my bed and proceeded to feast away and leave a black mess. 



My first instinct was to think she was going to get sick, or worse require a serious visit to the vet. Neither happened, thank God. It got me thinking though about what we feed our pets.

I strive for organic but my cats get a little finicky and still like some junk cat food now and then. Most of my cats have lived into their 20’s so I guess a little junk is ok.

BUT, one thing I NEVER DO is feed them PEOPLE FOOD.

You see, any food not specifically designed for animals can affect the digestive system and other body processes. I want to share with you the top foods to NEVER FEED YOUR PETS.



You may think its common sense, but I used to be a vet tech at an emergency animal hospital and I have seen all type of food issues…. even non food issues like gunpowder to make a guard dog more protective, no joke.  

Please keep this list nearby if you have pets or if you don’t, send it to someone who does. It could be a matter of life or death.

I strongly believe that animals play a huge role in our well-being. Just as I mentioned above, Happy REALLY DOES make me HAPPY.

There are plenty of scientific studies that show we live longer if we have pets in our lives. If they can help us, let’s help them by making sure they are eating food that is safe and nourishing. 



NO NO’s for your pets:

  • Alcohol: coma, death, intoxication
  • Cooked bones: stomach lacerations
  • Avocado: vomiting, diarrhea
  • Onions and garlic: blood cell damage and anemia
  • Walnuts and macadamia nuts: nervous system and muscle damage
  • Raisins and currants: Kidney failure
  • Dairy: diarrhea
  • Grapes: kidney failure
  • Too much Fatty foods: pancreatitis 
  • Chocolate: toxic to the heart and nervous system
  • Caffeine: vomiting and diarrhea
  • Medications : kidney failure, gi ulcers
  • Fat trimmings, raw meat, raw eggs, raw fish:  vomiting, diarrhea, and bacteria
  • Xylitol (a sweetener) : liver failure, hypoglycemia or death
If you think your pet has been poisoned,  immediately call ASPCA poison control at 888-426-4436

Or the National Pet poison helpline 800-213-6680

 


With Love and Hope,